These cheese and za’atar rolls from Sabrina Ghayour make wonderful sandwiches as well as being a great alternative to the traditional dinner roll. As Sabrina says: “Do yourself a favour and make a double batch because, if I’m honest, every time I make any sort of bread, I end up eating a hefty portion of it straight from the oven, and if you have to share them, you may just need more than six!”
Makes 6. Cooking time 30 mins.
- 7g sachet fast-action dried yeast
- 50ml milk, warmed
- 500g strong bread flour
- 200ml lukewarm water
- 50ml olive oil, plus extra for rubbing 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 3 heaped tablespoons za’atar
- 100g vegetarian Cheddar cheese, grated
- Add the yeast to the warm (but not hot) milk and stir with a fork until dissolved, then leave the mixture to sit for 5 minutes.
- Tip the flour into a mixing bowl and make a well in the centre. Pour the yeast mixture into the well and use a fork to mix into the flour as best as you can. Add the lukewarm water, olive oil and salt, then use your hands to mix together to form a dough. Cover the bowl with clingfilm and leave to rest for 10 minutes, then knead the dough in the bowl for 1 minute. Repeat the resting and kneading process twice more.
- Line your largest baking tray with baking paper. Divide the dough into 6 balls on the lined tray, then rub with olive oil. Sprinkle each ball with 1 teaspoon za’atar and rub all over the dough, then sprinkle over a little more za’atar to evenly coat. Scatter an equal quantity of the cheese on top of each roll and sprinkle over the remaining za’atar. Leave to rest in a warm place for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 220°C (200°C fan), Gas Mark 7.
- Bake the rolls for 30 minutes until cooked through and the cheese turns golden. Remove from the oven and leave to cool before serving.
Thank you to Sabrina Ghayour for this delicious recipe from her book Simple.
Shop for ingredients
A zesty thyme herb mix that’s delicious with olive oil on fresh bread, in tomato salads or on roasts
Hand-picked and rain-fed with a warm peppery taste
Great Taste Award