A tasty recipe for a freekeh risotto with mushrooms, topped with toasted almonds and fresh herbs.
- 1 small onion or shallot
- a generous splash of Zaytoun olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 200g Zaytoun green wheat freekeh
- 750ml vegetable stock
- 100g chestnut mushrooms, cleaned and quartered
- 100g chanterelle mushrooms, cleaned and quartered
- a small handful Zaytoun raw almonds, dry roasted in a pan till golden
- chopped parsley to garnish
- fresh squeeze of lemon juice to finish
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan saute the onion in olive oil for a few minutes until soft.
- Add garlic and saute for a few more minutes.
- Stir in the freekeh and mix well, then pour in the vegetable stock and stir again.
- Bring to boil, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- In a frying pan saute all the mushrooms in olive oil on medium heat for 10 minutes or until they’ve taken on some colour.
- Add the mushrooms into the freekeh and stir well to ensure the freekeh doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan. Season with salt and pepper to taste, being careful that you don’t over season because stock is seasoned. Cover and let the mixture simmer for at least 5 minutes more.
- After that keep adding more stock or water depending on how much bite you want to retain.
- When you’re ready to serve, spoon out the risotto, sprinkle with chopped parsley and toasted almonds, and add a quarter of lemon to each plate.