A simple olive oil cookie recipe made with dark chocolate and salt for a deliciously decadent treat
Makes 12 cookies
- 230g dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 50g dark chocolate, chopped in chunks
- 60ml olive oil
- 200g brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs*
- 100g plain flour
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp flaked sea salt, plus some for topping.
*Vegan substitution: Mix 3tbsp of chia seeds with 3tbsp of water
- Preheat oven to 180 (160 fan) and line two sheet pans with baking parchment.
- In a medium heatproof bowl, combine chocolate and olive oil. Set the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, making sure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water, and stir until the chocolate is completely melted and the olive oil is incorporated.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together sugar, vanilla and eggs (or chia seeds) until smooth. Slowly whisk in the melted chocolate mixture to combine.
- In a small bowl, stir together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt, then add to the batter. Switch to a rubber spatula and fold in until just incorporated.
- Scoop 2 tablespoon-sized scoops – we use an ice-cream scoop for evenly sized cookies – and place apart on prepared sheet pans.
- Top with the chunks of chocolate and sprinkle with the flaky sea salt.
- Bake, rotating halfway through, until the tops have crackled with a matte finish for 10-12 minutes.