Made with our crunchy Fairtrade almonds, this generous recipe makes 25 small cookies so there are plenty to hand around at Fairtrade Fortnight events.
- 100g Zaytoun Fairtrade almonds
- 200g self-raising flour
- 200g plain flour
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 170g unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- 200g dark brown, soft sugar
- 100g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 100g dark chocolate, cut into small chunks
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F and line two large baking trays with parchment paper.
- Roughly chop the almonds, then mix the chunks with the flours and salt in a large bowl.
- Melt the butter, then add the sugars and vanilla extract to the melted butter and whisk well. Allow to cool.
- Beat the eggs into the mixture, then pour into the flour mix and stir well. Add the chocolate chunks and mix.
- Roll the dough pieces into small balls, about the size of a walnut, and space them out on the baking trays. Flatten each ball slightly with the palm of your hand.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until lightly brown. Let them cool before transferring to a cooling rack. Eat when cool or store in a biscuit tin.