Our flame roasted green wheat freekeh has a mild smoky flavour which gives these veggie burgers a deeply satisfying BBQ flavour!
Makes 8 burgers
- 200g Zaytoun green wheat freekeh
- 250ml (2 cups) water
- 250g beetroot (you can use precooked beetroot), diced
- 240g chickpeas (1 tin), drained and rinsed
- 1 cloves organic garlic, grated
- 25g fresh mint, finely chopped
- 25g fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, grated
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp sea salt
- zest of 1 small lime
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Zaytoun extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 180˚C.
- Bring the freekeh and water to the boil in a pan. Simmer for 15-20 minutes until the grains are cooked. Remove the pot from the heat and allow to cool down completely.
- Place the diced beetroot in a roasting dish, season with salt and pepper to taste and drizzle with olive oil. Roast in the preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Place the roasted beetroot and the drained chickpeas in a food processor and pulse until chunky. Alternatively mash with a fork.
- In a bowl combine the cooled freekeh with the mashed chickpeas and beetroot. Mix in the garlic, fresh parsley and mint, grated onion, chilli flakes, ground cumin, coriander seeds, lime zest, salt and pepper. Use your hands to mix well and shape the mixture into small patties.
- Place the patties on a lined and oiled baking tray and bake for 15 minutes on each side, until they have a crisp outer layer. Be careful when flipping them as they can be fragile until fully cooked.
- Serve with salad, bread and dip of your choice. We served them with a green tomato salad with a parsley pesto dressing, yogurt and za’atar dip and homemade pitta bread. Delicious!