Sweet and crunchy Fairtrade almond cookies sandwiched together with a homemade coffee Medjoul date caramel all dipped in rich dark chocolate. These cookie sandwiches are naturally vegan, fun to make with little ones and great enjoyed with a cup of coffee!
Makes 16. Prep time: 30 mins. Chilling/resting: 1-2 hours
- 50g smooth runny almond butter
- 30g vegan butter, melted
- 50g Traidcraft golden caster sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- ½ tsp almond essence
- 100g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 50g Zaytoun Fairtrade almonds, finely ground
- ½ tsp baking powder
- A pinch of salt
Coffee Mejdoul date caramel:
- 150g Zaytoun Medjoul dates, pitted weight
- 30ml brewed Café Direct coffee
- 50g almond butter
- A pinch of salt
- 100g Divine 85% dark chocolate
- Flaky salt
- Blitz the almonds into a fine meal to make the ground almonds.
- Make the almond cookie dough: whisk together the almond butter, melted butter, sugar, vanilla and almond essence until smooth. Sift in the flour and stir in the ground almonds, baking powder and salt. Bring to a dough and shape into a ball. Cover and rest in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 160Fan/180*C and line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Divide the dough in half and roll out onto a lightly floured surface or sheet of parchment paper and roll out to about ½ cm thickness. Cut out the cookie shapes, carefully use a spatula or palette knife to transfer the cookies to the baking trays. Re-roll any scraps and continue to roll out all the dough and cut out all the cookies (about 32 round cookies).
- Bake for 5-7 minutes until golden brown and watch out for the smaller cookies which will take less time. Allow to cool for 10 minutes, transfer to a wire rack to cool fully.
- Make the Coffee Medjoul date caramel: soak the dates in boiling water for 10 minutes then drain. Add to a blender or food processor with the brewed coffee, almond butter and salt. Blend until smooth.
- Top half of the cookies with the Coffee Medjoul Date Caramel and sandwich together with the other cookies.
- Melt the chocolate, transfer to a smaller bowl and dip the cookies halfway in the chocolate, allow the excess to drip off and transfer to a baking sheet, sprinkle with some flaky salt and leave to set in the fridge for 15 minutes (you will have extra chocolate). Store in an airtight container for 3-5 days.
Thank you to Nourishing Amy for this fantastic Fairtrade recipe.