Citrus, olive oil and almonds? This is Palestine in a cake! These ingredients are found in many delicious savoury Palestinian dishes and they lend themselves beautifully to baking.
- 120g all-purpose flour
- 60g Palestinian Fairtrade almonds, ground
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 150g Fairtrade caster sugar
- 120ml Palestinian Fairtrade Organic extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 120ml freshly squeezed orange juice
- 60g Palestinian Fairtrade almonds, sliced
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 180C/365F/Gas 4, and grease and flour a 9-inch (23 cm) round cake tin.
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, ground almonds, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs, caster sugar and olive oil. When thoroughly mixed add the vanilla extract, orange zest and finally the orange juice.
- Add the dry ingredients to the bowl and beat until they are thoroughly combined.
- Pour the cake mixture into the cake tin and sprinkle the flaked almonds over the top. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Remove the cake onto a wire rack and let it cool completely. Dust with icing sugar before serving.