An easy recipe for mac n’ cheese with a crunchy za’atar and breadcrumb topping
- 500g macaroni pasta
- 2 leeks
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 75g butter
- 75g flour
- 1 litre milk
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- A generous dash of Worcestershire sauce
- 300g mature Cheddar cheese, grated
- 75g Parmesan cheese, grated
- 4 slices of wholemeal bread
- 4 tbps of Zaytoun za’atar
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C/180C fan. Bring a large pot of water to the boil, salt generously and add the macaroni. After 10 minutes, drain and spoon into a large oven-proof dish. Stir 1 tbsp of olive oil through the pasta to stop it sticking, and set aside.
- Sauté the leeks in 1tbsp olive oil until soft, and then stir through the macaroni.
- Melt 75g of butter in a pan, add the flour and beat to form a roux. Cook for 1-2mins.
- Add the milk little by little, stirring all the time until the sauce has thickened. Add the mustard powder and a generous dash of Worcestershire sauce. Take off the heat and stir in the cheese.
- Pour over the macaroni and leeks, and stir through.
- Blitz the bread to breadcrumbs in a food processor, and pulse in 4 tablespoons of za’atar.
- Sprinkle over the macaroni and cheese.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes until the topping is golden and crunchy.
Shop for ingredients
A zesty thyme herb mix that’s delicious with olive oil on fresh bread, in tomato salads or on roasts
Hand-picked and rain-fed with a warm peppery taste
Great Taste Award