Serve warm or as a salad, our giant couscous Maftoul with roasted squash and toasted pumpkin seeds is a dish full of flavour and goodness.
- 200g organic Maftoul
- 60g Fairtrade sultanas
- 50g pumpkin seeds
- 1 medium-sized squash (about 750g)
- 3-4 tbsp Palestinian Extra Virgin olive oil
- 1tsp ground cumin
- Flaky sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Water or vegetable stock
- 1 handful picked flat-leafed parsley, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp finely chopped dill
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Put the sultanas in a bowl, pour over hot water and leave them to plump up a bit.
- Warm a frying pan over a medium heat and toast the pumpkin seeds, rattling the pan from time to time, until fragrant and toasted. Tip into a bowl and set aside.
- Heat the oven to 190C/375F/gas mark 5.
- Peel the squash, halve it and remove the seeds and fibres. Cut it into largish chunks of about 3cm and place in a roasting tin. Add in two tablespoons of the olive oil, sprinkle on the cumin, salt and pepper, and toss again. Roast for 30-35 minutes, rattling the tin halfway through, until soft in the middle and gently charred around the edges.
- In a pot, heat a tbsp of olive oil then add the maftoul, and coat well before adding 350ml of boiling water or stock. Bring back to the boil then simmer for 12 minutes. Remove from the heat and leave to one side, covered, for at least 10 minutes.
- To assemble the salad, toss the drained sultanas, toasted pumpkin seeds and herbs with the maftoul until well combined. Drizzle over the remaining tablespoon or two of olive oil and the vinegar, adjust the seasoning and toss again with the roasted squash. Serve hot or cold.
Shop for ingredients
Organic and hand-rolled with a nutty taste for pilafs, salads, tagines and soups
Great Taste Award
Hand-picked and rain-fed with a warm peppery taste
Great Taste Award